Hey! Have you seen the Homeschool Ryan Gosling site yet? So hilarious. Some of these pictures just hit far too close to home to not end up laughing hysterically. I’m not a big fan of his, but I must admit, some of this is funny stuff!
I spent the entire day today — as in ALL of it, cleaning the boys’ room. It … well… smelled like BOY and needed a serious overhaul. We cleaned the closet and rearranged the umpteen-thousand books. We didn’t even do one teensy weensy ounce of book work today. I had the intention to clean their room until 10am, but well, it didn’t exactly play out in that way. Sidetracked spring cleaning days offer another great reason to homeschool year round. We can do this sort of thing when the fancy strikes. And I have been feeling seriously neglectful in the house cleaning department these days. Like REALLY. I have just been dealing these last several months, and that has meant complete ignorance of the less critical areas of home. Until today.
Oh, I should mention that I found part of the nasty boys smell. It was a beautiful concoction of rotting apple core and garbage can pee from a poor sleepwalker.
I wish I was kidding. That garbage can was just… eeeew. I had to break out the big guns to clean that puppy. Lestoil trumped my usual vinegar and baking soda cleaning arsenal.
We worked away all day. At the end of it:
- the room was tidied, vacuumed and dusted
- the shelves were purged of the “collector’s items” (that really were Caleb’s upcycled packaging from the blue bag)
- there was one long discussion about ‘necessities,’ the ‘special’ things and ‘the rest’
- the trim was as clean as it was going to get without painting (how are they SO hard on trim?)
- I had a half garbage bag of crap to toss, about a dozen clothing items to donate, and a whopping four, yes, FOUR books to pass along.
All were duplicates.
Oh wait! Make that five books. There was a Spiderman picture search book in there that I’m sure was never cracked. It was okay to part with that one.
- I rejigged the “it was supposed to be temporary” shelving on the landing so I could squeeze in Caleb’s new to him encyclopedia collection… (which, by the way he said he would take if the house was burning and he only had 5 things to take with him). Did you know that 24 great big heavy books count as one item when you’re talking about fire-gathering? (Yes, this little gem came out of our ‘special items’ discussion.)
- The hallway outside? Not quite ‘there’ but coming along…
Anyway, dear Ryan had something to say about my day:
Haha!! Hilarious! (Only ’cause it’s true.)
The boys will sleep tonight in the freshness of clean. Ahhhh…
Happy Weekend Everyone!